TENNIS STARS RANKED HIGH

Sixteen University Men Among First Hundred in Singles and Three in First Double Twenty.

Three former University tennis players have been placed among the first ten according to the official ranking of the National Lawn Tennis Association. The honor of first place is given to R. N. Williams, 2d, '16, national champion, who won the Acheles Cup at Seabright and defeated Johnston, Church and Griffin during the season. W.M. Washburn '15 is placed seventh in the list with the record of the Southampton, Westchester, and Point Judith tournaments to his credit. Ninth place is awarded to J. J. Armstrong '14, finalist at Longwood and Delaware state champion, who defeated both Kumagae, the Japanese star, and Griffin.

Among the next ten, three alumni received places: H. C. Johnson '04, N. W. Niles '09, and E. H. Whitney '14, former captain of the University team. In class two, positions are given to G. C. Caner '17, captain of this year's tennis team and intercollegiate champion, and to W. J. Clothier '04. Former University players in class three are W. M. Hall '04, R. Harte '17, twice intercollegiate doubles champion, and J. S. Pfaffman '17, number four on last year's team. In class four, H. S. Parker '04, is given a place; in class five, C. C. Pell '08, in class six, W. Rand, 3d, 1G; in class seven, Gordon Parker '11.

J. J. Armstrong '14, is the only University graduate ranked among the first ten in the doubles, as the partner of W. F. Johnson. They were ranked fifth. G. C. Caner '17, and R. Harte, '17, intercollegiate doubles champions, were placed among the second ten.