TEAM C SHUT OUT REGULARS

WORK OF E. M. MARTIN AT GOAL AIDED SUBS IN NARROW VICTORY.

A long, hard game against team C was the work Coach Winsor gave the University hockey team yesterday afternoon and the result was a 1 to 0 victory for the substitutes. Toward the beginning of the game, L. M. Lombard '17, whose shooting throughout the practice was very accurate, slipped the puck past J. I. Wylde '17 for the only score. The regulars held the advantage for the remaining 25 minutes of the scrimmage but the exceptional goal tending of E. M. Martin '18 enabled the substitutes to shut out the first team. Both E. O. Baker '17 and G. A. Percy '18 had many chances to score, but although their shots, long and short, went straight for the goal, Martin always managed to stop them and push the puck aside.

There were two changes in the line-up of team A, for T. C. Thacher '18 reported for the first time and was given T. H. Eckfeldt '17's position at cover point. Thacher carried the puck well in several dashes from behind his own goal and kept it well ahead of his stick. The other change was the substitution of R. H. Kissel '19 for H. M. Bliss '17 at right wing on team A. Although Kissel is developing rapidly at his new position of wing, he is still slow and does not keep up with the rest of his line. He did some good work, however, getting the puck away from the opposing line men and, though he was not sure at receiving pases, his own passing was good.

Another heady player was D. Appleton '18, who relieved Thacher for a time. Playing on team B against team D after the regulars were through, he again and again took the puck down the Arena with clever stick work and good judgment, and finally was able to smash it into the goal. In this scrimmage H. M. Bliss '17, T. K. Fisher '17, R. J. H. Powel '18, R. Baldwin '17 and C. W. Timpson '18 also scored goals for team B and a long tally was made for their opponents by W. W. Rice '18 on a back-hand shot from the side of the rink.

Rink on Soldiers Field.

A rink is to be built in the marshy part of Soldiers Field before the ground is frozen. By digging down a few feet the water level will be reached and thus a permanent natural pool will be established where there will be ice as soon as on any pond. This will be of great neip to the second and Freshman teams who have had much trouble finding suitable ice nearby in the past.

The Freshman team will report for practice behind Hemenway Gymnasium in two squads at 3 and 3.30 o'clock.