THE UNION CRISIS

The question of how to strengthen the Union has been discussed so many times without a constructive settlement that a solution is generally considered an impossibility. The undergraduates, the Governing Board, and the Trustees all firmly believe that the Union has an important place in the life of the University, but thus far no united action has been instigated to make the Union fill this place. The present financial and social position of the Union is so critical that unless immediate steps are taken to aid the managers, this valuable institution will be forced to close its doors in the near future.

Last year the financial statement showed a loss of seven thousand dollars. One might think by this that the Union is not used by undergraduates. On the contrary, the membership and the daily use of the many assembly rooms for meetings of every character uphold the belief of its invaluable utility. The real reason for the deficit can be traced to the unnecessary burdens placed upon the Union in the form of taxes and rent amounting to thousands of dollars yearly. Although the Governing Board consisting largely of undergraduates see clearly the obstacles in the path of the Union's success, they have tried in vain to obtain help from the graduates on the Board of Trustees. In the resolution drawn up by the Governing Board published in today's issue, an appeal is made to the Trustees of the Union and to the Administrative Board of the College to make an immediate report to the Corporation, setting forth the true facts of the Union's case. It seems only fair that the graduate authorities should aid the undergraduates in every way to solve this difficult problem, when the students are eager to see the Union put on a healthy basis. The Union is considered a necessity by men in College, and the majority of students would readily do their part to make the Union the success it ought to be.