PROFESSOR HUGO MUENSTERBERG

The death of Professor Muensterberg is a great blow to the Faculty and undergraduates of this University in which for twenty five years he has been so distinguished a figure. By his death the intellectual world has lost a man whose efforts have done much to change psychology from a dry study of ethics to a living science, applicable to every-day life. As a man of broad views and international sympathies, as a German citizen who enjoyed the hospitality of America, his greatest wish has always been to promote good feeling between the two nations. Because in recent years his sympathies were not akin to those held by most of us, his utterances have not had as favorable a reception as was formerly the case. However, we must admire and respect the spirit, prompted by natural devotion to his native land, which made Professor Muensterberg speak according to his sincere convictions. The New York Times says that his last public message was one of good cheer wherein he indicated his belief that peace was near at hand.

'Those who hated most hotly will forget most quickly," he asserted in reference to the war. And again, "I feel sure that the end of the war is near. The world Christmas tree will be glistening tomorrow, the fragrance of its candles already pervade the world."

As a distinguished author, a keen critic of public life and a leading psychologist, his loss, too great to be realized when civilization is in a turmoil, will be estimated fairly in the future, when judgment is less biased by partisan feeling.