ONE OF OUR DUTIES

An appeal has recently been sent out by a committee of American educators, asking some five hundred colleges to provide special scholarships for Mexican students in this country. One hundred replies have already been received promising positive or tentative co-operation in this plan for the educational reconstruction of our unhappy neighbor to the south. This enterprise, if completed, would be of greater value to both countries than the despatching of an army to the border. It is one of the few really constructive measures which have been proposed for the rehabilitation of Mexico. We are familiar with the results accomplished by the teachers who were sent two years ago to study the educational methods in the United States. Several of them returned to Mexico last year, carrying with them observations which have been of great use in Mexico's recent educational renaissance. Harvard ought to take a peculiar interest in the project for we have always prided ourselves on our internationalism.

It has been suggested that a system similar to the Rhodes Scholarships be established in order to make the plan permanent. Many difficulties will arise before the plan is completed, but as the obstacles are great, so is the glory great. International conciliation should go hand in hand with preparedness, and this is the best way to win the friendship of Mexico. All our quarrels are at bottom the result of mutual misunderstandings. It was thought in Mexico that when Mr. Wilson moved to Shadow Lawn this summer he was fleeing before the attacks of Villa! We can begin to remove these misconceptions by offering scholarships to encourage Mexicans to complete their education in this country. It is through the efforts of her educated citizens that Mexico must re-establish here-self, and not through foreign conquest or internal warfare.