Lest We Forget.

COMMENT

With startling suddenness we have again been reminded that the world is paying a terrible price for freedom. Queen's men in Canada have time and again cheered Queen's men in France, but now they bow their heads because three Queen's men are dead.

Five members of the 46th Queen's Battery went out in one day. Two of them had never been connected with the university, but they identified themselves with a Queen's unit, they trained and fought with Queen's men, and suffered with them, and they died with the same noble courage. We never knew them as fellow-students, but we own them brothers and their names shall stand forever in the list of our honored dead-noble names in a noble company.

Yet it is in the loss of three of our graduates that the blow comes most heavily upon us. None of them went lightly away: they were not looking for romance or for experience: they had no illusions about war. With sober thoughtfulness they faced the fact of a ruthless tyrant in Europe who threatened death to great living principles, and they decided that their duty lay with the Battery in France. We are staggered to think that they are dead.

No one has yet solved the great why and wherefore of the need of such a tremendous sacrifice. All three were men of conspicuous ability, they were trained and ready to take their place in the world's life-two of them had definitely consecrated themselves to the high service of the Christian ministry-when suddenly they were called upon to lay aside their task of battling for righteousness either in France or here, where they were so badly needed. That men of such unusual promise and of such sterling worth should need to be sacrificed is baffling in the extreme.

All Queen's mourns the irreparable loss of these men and of the noble fellows whose names stand with theirs in a long and a rapidly growing list; and gives heartfelt sympathy to those who feel their loss even more keenly than we. --Queen's University Journal.