TO PRODUCE PLAY BY SHAW

Miss Grace George Begins Engagement at Plymouth Theatre Jan. 1.

Grace George, a theatrical star who has done much to encourage dramatic progress in colleges, plans to pay Boston a visit. She will begin an engagement at the Plymouth Theatre directly after vacation, her first performance being on New Year's night. Miss George will bring with her her Playhouse Company, with which she appeared in repertoire in New York all last season, and will present for her opening play Bernard Shaw's "Major Barbara."

When Miss George was in the midst of her New York season she offered a prize of $1,000, advance royalty, and a Broadway production for a play by a college student suitable for her use. During the summer Miss George read all the manuscripts submitted personally, but unfortunately found no play suitable for her production. Accordingly no prize was awarded.

Miss George, however, discovered in the manuscripts submitted last year writing of promise by several members of the University and wrote to two students in Professor Baker's course that while she regretted her inability to use the manuscripts submitted, she considered the work of these men unusually promising, and would be glad to read plays they might write in the future.