MANHOOD SERVICE DESIRABLE

SHOULD BE JOINED WITH MANHOOD SUFFRAGE, SAID GENERAL WOOD, U.S.A.

Major-General Leonard Wood, U.S.A., President Lowell, and Major H. L. Higginson '55 addressed the members of the University Regiment assembled in uniform at the Union yesterday evening and officially started the lecture series to the 1100 student volunteers. Captain Cordier introduced General Wood, who has just returned from a trip in the South for the purpose of extending the movement toward preparedness.

General Wood stated that the work of the Regiment so far has been eminently satisfactory. In establishing military training as a course counting toward a degree, the University is the first to adopt a policy which will ultimately be recognized in every other college. Yale, Dartmouth, and Williams have formed strong student military organizations, and the present plan to recruit a corps of 50,000 officers will most likely be carried through successfully.

"All the militia officers of the South," said General Wood, "favor a transfer of the militia into a Federal force. Such a transfer would mean a great gain in military strength and increased efficiency in the militia. The University Regiment has attracted widespread interest among Southern colleges, and has started a national movement for a strong body of reserve officers. The field is not only a large one, but an exceptionally good one, and our aim shall be now to continue organizing and recruiting until a body of 50,000 officers is available.

"'With manhood suffrage goes manhood service.' Until we recognize that principle the country will never be safe. If we bear it in mind, we shall accomplish a great deal toward preventing war."

"This country has developed to the highest degree the system of insurance," said President Lowell, "but it has been insurance against everything except war. And war is the greatest disaster that could happen to any country if it is unprepared. Every man here must prepare himself to be an officer, for officers are needed most by the government now. You must look upon this Regiment as the first step in the training of officers; you must take military courses, and, above all, go to the summer camp, if you would be adequately prepared."

Major Higginson said, "You must learn to take care of your home if you want to keep your home. There are many tasks to be met in its defence, but you cannot face them if you are not ready. If you are willing, you can be prepared for any attack that comes. You will never regret the time and pains spent in this regimental work. It is vital if you want to be American citizens and protect your homes. We need to serve the United States as United States soldiers and officers, and not to serve any particular state. This is your country and your home. You have your chance now to prepare for their defence and existence.