THE BUSINESS SCHOOL NATIONAL.

The most striking movement of recent years in higher education has been the growth of special scientific training for business; and in this field the University's Graduate School of Business Administration is now exerting probably the most powerful influence. The first business school in the United States was the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, which, however, was not restricted to graduates. Dartmouth followed in 1904 with the Tuck School, which provides a two-year graduate course. It was only eight years ago that the Harvard School was established, requiring a bachelor's degree for admission and giving a two-years' course leading to the degree of Master of Business Administration.

Since then the movement has spread rapidly. The universities of Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Georgia, Texas, Missouri, Ohio, Washington, and Tulane all now maintain departments of business. It is fair to say, however, that not all of these schools teach their subjects in the large and intellectual manner which is required for the professionalizing of business, the proper task of the business school. Yale has recently added a business school which gives a graduate year to follow the three years at Sheffield, the courses being modelled directly on those of the University. And Columbia now announces a graduate business course to require three years, while Cornell has just announced a year's undergraduate work in the subject. New York University is doing good service among business workers in New York, mainly night school students; its enrolment is 2500.

The University's School of Business Administration is one of the few which treats business as a profession. It maintains as rigid requirements for admission as the Law School; and insists upon a high standard of work. The success of its researches and recommendations in the retail shoe and grocery industries has demonstrated its practical usefulness and given it a reputation among business men. They are everywhere co-operating, both in affording facilities for research and in giving employment to graduates.

Another matter of interest is the growing national character of the school, as shown in figures given in another column. This year sixty-two per cent, of the enrolment is from outside New England; and seventy-two colleges are represented. Thus the University has added another national graduate school to those it already possessed; and a new profession has been opened to the college graduate.