CREWS HAD THIRD WORK-OUT

Coach Haines Directed Oarsmen During Yesterday's Practice.

The University and Freshman oarsmen had a work-out yesterday afternoon under Coach Haines. The first four crews all had practice on the machines and in the tank, but the other crews used the machines only. There were no important changes in the line-up of the upper eights, although the illness of J. H. Volkmann '16 necessitated a temporary change in the University B boat. Volkmann will be out for the next few days, but it is expected he will be back soon.

Considerable progress is being made in the development of individual men, and open water in the Charles is being anxiously awaited. It was just a year ago yesterday that last year's crew first went on the river, that being the record for early rowing in Cambridge. The ice at present is very thin, and a little warm weather ought to break this up. Since ice in the Charles rarely lasts until March, it may reasonably be expected that the crews will be out in shells before long. Until that time little can be told as to more definite line-ups.

The Freshman crews have been well organized, and all ten reported. They rowed on the machines in relays of three and were under the supervision of Coach Haines and A. Beane '11. The lower crews were somewhat changed, but the first two remained the same and seem to be getting well under way. There are, of course, the difficulties of accustoming the Freshmen to new methods and of changing and correcting their faults, but even in the few days that there has been spring practice, much improvement can be seen. Getting out on the water will make a vast difference with these crews also.

University A rowed as follows: Stroke, C. C. Lund '16; 7, H. B. Cabot '17; 6, D. P. Morgan '16; 5, T. E. Stebbins '17; 4, K. B. G. Parson '16; 3, J. Talcott '16; 2, Mosely Taylor '18; bow, A. Potter '17; cox., H. L. F. Kreger '16.