PENN. DEFEATED RELAY TEAM

UNIVERSITY QUARTET LOST FAST MILE EVENT AT HARTFORD MONDAY.

The University relay team was defeated by Pennsylvania in a mile race at the Connecticut State Armory in Hartford Monday evening. The fast time of 3 minutes 31 2-5 seconds was the best of the evening and bettered last year's time for the same race by 2 4-5 seconds.

E. A. Teschner '17 drew the pole on the first relay, but slipped in getting started, mainly because he was unaccustomed to running in rubber-soled shoes. As a consequence, Dorsey gained a lead of 3 or 4 yards. T. R. Pennypacker '16 and W. Willcox, Jr. '17, who opposed Lockwood and Lennon, respectively, lost slightly through cautious starting, but made it up later in their relays. W. J. Bingham '16 started 4 yards behind Meredith and was able to close up the interval between, although he could not overtake the Pennsylvania captain.

H. W. Minot '17 won the 300-yard race easily in 34 1-5 seconds. Coakley of Dartmouth was second and Davis of Yale third. In the 600, A. Biddle '16 and Scudder of Pennsylvania ran a dead heat in 1 minute 20 seconds. Biddle came up from behind in the last lap and, as the judges disagreed, they were forced to declare the race a tie.

The University relay team will be matched against the fast B. A. A. quartet at the Schoolboy Meet of the Boston Athletic Association in the Mechanics Building next Saturday. Tickets for this meet at $1.50 are now on sale at the H. A. A. office.