JOHN MASEFIELD.

In its latest issue, the Alumni Bulletin suggests that Harvard undergraduates are being deprived of an opportunity when they miss hearing a lecture by Mr. John Masefield. This statement is undoubtedly not an exaggeration. Mr. Masefield stands in the first rank among present-day poets, and has also a reputation as a playwright. Some of the works by which he has won wide recognition ares "Salt Water Ballads," "A Tarpaulin Muster," "Captain Margaret," "The Street of Today," and "The Daffodil Fields." Among his plays which have been produced are: "The Campden Wonder," "Man," and "Pompey the Great." At Yale, at the University of Pennsylvania, at Wellesley, and many other colleges, Mr. Masefield has been extended a warm welcome, and his lectures have been received with unusual appreciation. Apparently no effort is being made to bring him to Harvard. "If it is a question of funds," the Bulletin says, "something ought to be done to give our undergraduates the opportunity of encountering the stimulus to be gained from personal contact with one of the truest poets of the time. If it is a question of apathy, or the lack of one functionary whose business it shall be to see that such an opportunity is seized, all the more should propose something be done?"