BOMBAST VERSUS INDIFFERENCE.

In another column the CRIMSON publishes a communication, full of bombast and misstatement, on the subject of compulsory membership for the Union, simply in the hope that it will arouse interest in the matter and lead to a full and well-considered expression of opinion. The indifference in regard to this vital question has been amazing. If the undergraduate mind could be stirred up to thought regarding the proposed step, those favoring it would not have to work in the dark.

As regards today's communication, the writer's statement that the "Union is a failure" and a "dying institution" is too preposterous for argument. The Union is of inestimable service to the University. It furnishes meeting places for numerous class, organization, and University gatherings; it provides lectures of great interest and profit, and furnishes club accommodations for sixteen hundred men. It is, unfortunately, in the anomalous position of serving the entire University, and yet being supported as a private club. The CRIMSON will gladly print sane expressions of opinion on the question of compulsory membership,--but no more such childish and destructive comments as that appearing today.