UNDERGRADUATE LEADERS.

Statistics compiled by the CRIMSON and published yesterday indicate that the New England States with their famous secondary schools are far from producing proportionately the greatest number of men of college distinction. Nominally, the statistics show the Southern States with a percentage of 32 per cent. to lead the list of men of distinction. These figures, however, must be discounted. The New England States have so low a position in the list because there is less selection among the men coming from them; proximity is here a large factor. It would be fairer to New England were it possible to give position in a corresponding list drawn up at a university outside. At any rate, it is clear that a man from the Rocky Mountain States has as great an opportunity for distinction in the University as a man from Massachusetts.

In regard to the ages of the men, it is significant that those in Class A--the men of highest undergraduate distinction--were younger than those in Class B. Moreover, the Phi Beta Kappa men were distinctly younger than the average. This confirms President Lowell's observation that the younger men make the best scholars and the age of the men in Class A indicates that it is also the younger men who attain the highest distinction in undergraduate activities. The argument in favor of sending boys to college as early as possible thus receives new support.