FIVE VICTORIES IN TENNIS

UNIVERSITY TEAM DEFEATED BY STRONG WEST SIDE CLUB QUINTETTE.

The University tennis team was victorious in all the matches on its southern trip last week except that with the West Side Tennis Club, at Forest Hills, L. I., last Saturday. This contest proved to be the outstanding feature of the trip, the final score being 4 to 3 in favor of the West Side team. The most creditable feats on this occasion were the two victories for the University in the doubles when G. C. Caner '17 and W. Rand, 3d, '17 defeated K. H. Behr and T. R. Pell, 6-4, 4-6, 8-6, and Captain R. N. Williams, 2d, '16 and J. S. Pfaffman '17 defeated G. M. Church and D. Mathey, 6-2, 4-6. The only other victory for the University was that gained by Captain R. N. Williams, 2d, '16 over W. M. Washburn '15 by the score of 7-5, 6-1.

In its match with the Agawam Hunt Club, at Providence, on April 15, the University was victorious by the score of 4 to 2. The next match was with the Philadelphia Cricket Club, in Philadelphia, last Monday, and was won by the University by the score of 7 to 0. On Tuesday the team defeated the Chevy Chase Club in Washington by the score of 5 to 2. On Wednesday the University was victorious in the match with the Norfolk Country Club, the score being 6 to 1. In the singles the team won four matches and lost one, being also victorious in both doubles matches. On Thursday the team secured a comparatively easy victory over the Richmond Country Club by the score of 7 to 0. Last Saturday afternoon, in spite of the rain, wind, and cold, the team put up an excellent fight against the West Side Tennis Club, at Forest Hills, L. I., N. Y., the final score being 4 to 3 in favor of the West Side aggregation.

Out of a total of 41 individual matches, the University won 32. In doubles but one of the twelve matches was lost--one of those with the Agawam Hunt Club, while in the 29 singles matches the team was defeated but eight times.