J. A. DIBBLE '16 WINNER OF FIRST BOWDOIN PRIZE

E. L. Tiffany '16, S. B. Pfeifer '16 and Three Graduates Also Honored by Awards.

Joel Austin Dibble '16 of Milton, has been awarded the first Bowdoin prize for an undergraduate dissertation in English. His essay was entitled "A Reconsideration of Cibber." He will receive a bronze medal and the sum of two hundred and fifty dollars.

The Bowdoin prize committee, of which Professor Bliss Perry is chairman, and which includes Professors E. L. Mark, A. G. McAdie '85, J. H. Woods '87, R. M. Johnston '00, G. W. Pierce '04, L. J. Henderson '98, C. R. Post '04, and E. E. Day '09 has also recommended the award of the second undergraduate prizes of one hundred dollars and bronze medal to Edgar Louis Tiffany '16 of Dayton, Ohio, for his essay, "El Greco," and to Sidney Purton Pfeifer '16, of Cambridge, for his essay, "The dramatic instinct: Its value, place and use in the education of the child."

In the graduate group, Odell Shepard 2G. is to receive a prize of two hundred dollars for an essay on "The solitude of Wordsworth, Shelley, and Byron," and Joseph Vincent Fuller 1G., of St. Paul. Minn., and Daniel Sommer Robinson 1G., of North Salem, Ind., received similar awards for their essays on "The War Scare of 1875," and "Non-Symbolic Idealistic Logic," respectively.

Nine Awarded Honorable Mention.

The committee has also given honorable mention to the following men and recommended that they should accordingly receive credit in the award of degrees with distinction: J. Auslander '17, "Critique of Herbert Spencer's Data of Ethics'"; P. Bradley '16, "Efficient Bill-Board Regulation"; R. Bruce '17, "The Long-and-Short-Haul Clause Since 1890"; F. Butler '16, "The Hohenzollern candidacy for the throne of Spain"; S. K. Fairbanks '17, Blake's theories of art as applied to his writings"; W. Goettling '16, "The outcome of government regulation with particular references to prices and railway rates"; W. E. McCurdy '16, "Taine as an historical theorist"; K. B. Murdock '16, "Notes on 'L'Ancien Regime' and 'L'Anarchie' of Taine's Origines de la France Contemporaire'"; and A. S. Potter '17, "Democracy and culture."

The awards for the undergraduate and graduate dissertations in Greek and Latin, and for three of the graduate dissertations in English have not yet been announced.