Union Taxation Considered Unjust.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

When all the pyrotechnics of logic have been displayed to prove that the Union is a true Palladium of democracy, when the Unionists are thoroughly satisfied that Compulsion is a naughty word for polite society, when everyone is convinced that the Union seethes with joyous and turbulent students, and when everything has been said and done to demonstrate this important fact, that the Union is worthy of our support, because some say that it should be worthy of support--then, the smoke clears and we note the following handwriting upon the wall,--

"Have you of a free educational institution the right to tax future classes $6 a year without representation? Do you value the Union above the cherished intellectual standard of Harvard, which will most certainly be lowered proportionally as the term bill is raised?"

Here is the vital point of the whole subject--a point which has been buried in the sand of Union Committee Reports, etc. The ideal university is one where tuition is free, and where the only barrier to admission is an intellectual barrier. This ideal is not possible, perhaps, but a proximity to it is possible. Shall we make Harvard an oligarchy? Must we feed every promiscuous white elephant, which strays into our back Yard? Consider! L. P. MANSFIELD '16.