Value of the Union Doubtful.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In the communication published yesterday in your columns a feeble attempt was made to show that the vote to be taken today in regard to the Union is not on compulsion, but on the value of the Union to the college. Now the fact of the matter is that the vote is on both of these issues. For the vote today will decide whether or not the majority of undergraduates consider the Union of so much value to the college that those who do not believe in its value shall be compelled, against their will, to support it. If the majority of voters believe this today, all those men who believe the Union to be a failure; all those for whom its services are so small that they take no interest in it whatever; and all those whose slim purses would keep them from joining even at a $6 fee; all these are to be compelled to join the Union. And yet yesterday's writer naively said that to call it compulsion is "a waste of time."

Now it may be that the Union is of such value to the college that for the good of the whole it will be desirable to sacrifice individual rights. But it is the opinion of the writer (for reasons set forth in Monday's communication) that the Union is not of such value to the college that the 45 per cent. of the undergraduates who do not now care to join should be forced to share the doubtful benefits which the other 55 per cent. enjoy.  H. L. M. COLE '16