YALE SWIMMING POOL DESCRIBED

Interesting Facts Predict Success for Similar Union Project.

With the eyes of the University turned toward the prospective Union swimming pool, it is interesting to look into the conditions of a similar tank at Yale, whose swimming team has enjoyed such a successful season in contrast to the failure of the University aggregation. The Yale tank, which is 75 feet long by 30 wide, although housed in a building of its own, receives no sunlight from overhead, a sufficient quantity penetrating the fairly large side windows. Absolutely no chemicals are used in the water, as the pool is kept sanitary by pumping in fresh water at the rate of 25,000 gallons a day. Every two weeks the pool is cleaned out and given a thorough scrubbing. The water is kept at a constant temperature of 76 degrees during the winter and 70 during the spring.

The number of men using the tank daily is never under 300 and the average is considerably higher. Its use is compulsory only for freshmen taking gymnasium work. The charges are 15 cents a swim or $5 a season. This means that, were a pool installed in the Union and all students forced to join at the reduced figure of $6, the tank privileges alone would be worth practically the entire charge.