Illustrated of Usual Excellence

By H. J. S. .

To use the critical terminology of the late Hoyle, the current issue of the Illustrated "is to be commended."

The cuts are well done, and as they are chiefly action pictures of track scenes, they are particularly interesting at the present time. Those of the Yale meet serve the double purpose of furnishing a resume of that occasion and of depicting the strongest contenders from the two universities in the approaching Intercollegiates. Thanks to its exchange service with the journals of other colleges, the Illustrated is able to publish photographs of the stars from Cornell, Pennsylvania, and Princeton who will be seen here tomorrow and Saturday. Supplementing these pictures is an interesting history of the Intercollegiates and an interview with "Pooch" Donovan. The editors deserve praise for their enterprise in securing views of the Senior Picnic, but five days having elapsed since that event. The remainder of the pictures are devoted to baseball.

Heading the editorials is a bit of touchingly sincere self-congratulation on the part of the outgoing board, pardonable, perhaps, under the circumstances. As a handy compendium of high school valedictories. "Another Fledgling Leaves the Nest" is without equal. The closing lines could not but touch the heart of the most cynical, nor is the wealth of advice contained in them less astounding when one considers that such profound knowledge of the world comes from an under-classman.

The editorial which aims briskly to dispose of our fourth year of college is scarcely to be taken seriously. With our modern interest in graduate school specialization, many do "get through" in three years, it is true, but unless the majority of us have some such real inducement, we will all doubtless prefer to take our culture in the "good oldfashioned way." The four-year course may be largely sedentary, but, to use the words of Voltaire, "C'est la vie!"

The article on Mexico is vividly and tersely written, but aside from being recounted by an eye-witness, differs little from the usual treatment of this subject. The attention of the editors should be called to the erroneous placing among the news notes of the fact that Dartmouth men prefer the "D" to the Phi Beta Kappa key.

The issue on the whole, however, is very satisfactory indeed and sets a standard of excellence in photographs which will be difficult to surpass.