CORNELL TRACK TEAM WON CHAMPIONSHIP BY 16-POINT MARGIN

Murray and Meredith Both Won Two Firsts, Latter Making World's Record in Quarter-Mile and I. C. A. A. A. A. Record in Half.

For the third time in three successive years Cornell won the intercollegiate track title last Saturday, scoring 45 points in eleven events. Yale failed to score in only three events and ranked second with a total of 29 points. California and Stanford tied for third with 22 apiece. The totals of the other colleges represented were Pennsylvania 18, Dartmouth 14, Michigan 13, Harvard 11, Princeton 10, Bowdoin 5, Syracuse 3, Penn. State 2, and Technology 1.

Meredith closed his career as a collegiate runner by setting up a new world's record of 47 2-5 seconds in the quarter and a new intercollegiate mark of 1 minute 53 seconds in the half-mile. The former intercollegiate record in the quarter of 48 seconds was made by Reidpath of Syracuse in 1912 and was equalled by Meredith last year. The collegiate record for a straight track of 47 3-4 seconds, made by W. Baker '86, has stood since 1886. W. Willcox, Jr., '17 pushed the Pennsylvania captain to exert himself to the limit on the long straightaway, but the latter came through on the final stretch with an unbeatable record-breaking sprint.

The former intercollegiate record in the half-mile was 1 minute 53 2-5 seconds made by Caldwell of Cornell two years ago. Meredith took the lead almost from the start of the race, but was continually spurred on by Captain Bingham of the University, who finished less than 2 yards behind. The making of a second such mark on the same day puts Meredith in a class by himself among American runners.

Captain Murray of Stanford ranked second to the Pennsylvania captain as regards individual honors. Not only did he win both hurdles in perfect form, but he set a new intercollegiate record in the high hurdles of 15 seconds. The former record of 15 1-5 seconds was made by Shaw of Dartmouth in 1908.

Another remarkable performance was Windnagle's winning of the mile in 4 minutes 15 seconds, only three-fifths of a second behind the mark set by John Paul Jones in 1913. Although not hard pressed, the Cornell runner finished with a great burst of speed.

Smith and Moore Won Sprints.

Both of the semi-final heats in the hundred were won in 10 1-5 seconds, the first by Teschner and the second by Moore of Princeton over Smith of Michigan and Treadway of Yale. In the final heat inches only separated the first three place winners, who were all credited with even time. Smith's spurt at the end gave him a slight advantage over Moore. Teschner finished a strong third, but pulled a tendon, which kept him from running in the 220. Van Winkle of Cornell and Treadway of Yale took fourth and fifth places respectively.

Moore of Princeton won the first semi-final heat in the 220 and Kaufman of Pennsylvania the second, followed by Van Winkle of Cornell and Smith of Michigan. Moore walked away from the field in the final, being timed in 21 3-5 seconds. Smith nosed out Van Winkle for seconds, with Treadway of Yale fourth and Kaufman of Pennsylvania fifth.

World's Record of 47 2-5 Sec. in Quarter.

Willcox drew an outside position, but shot out ahead in the first part of the 440-yard dash. Meredith came up near the end of the long straightaway and stepped into first position on the turn. On the final stretch the Pennsylvania captain rushed on steadily, drawing away from Willcox and setting up a new world's record of 47 2-5 seconds. Willcox weakened near the end and was passed eight yards from the finish by Riley of Dartmouth and Crim of Cornell, who placed second and third respectively only five yards behind Meredith. H. J. Richardson of Princeton took fifth.

New I.C.A.A.A.A. Record in Half-Mile.

After a rest of an hour and ten minutes, Meredith went out to repeat his victory of last year in the half-mile. Floto of Princeton jumped ahead at the start, but the Pennsylvania captain shot into the lead at the turn, followed by Floto and Bingham. The pace proved too fast for Windnagle of Cornell and Overton of Yale, who had already run the mile. Just after passing the one-lap mark, Bingham passed Floto and closely followed Meredith. They both lengthened out on the far straightaway, drawing away from the rest of the field. Meredith and Bingham raced around the last turn with the latter on the outside at the Pennsylvanian's elbow. Down the final stretch they came in a final great sprit. Meredith's greater strength allowed him to keep slightly ahead and he crossed the finish line a winner by 1 1-2 yards. His time of 1 minute 53 seconds beat the former intercollegiate record by two-fifths of a second. Bingham covered the distance in 1 minute 53 1-5 seconds, which is the fastest ever run by a member of the University.

Windnagle Won in 4 Min. 15 Sec.

Overton of Yale set the pace for three laps of the mile. The quarter was covered in 57 2-5 seconds, with Overton, Willson of Stanford, Carroll of Michigan, and Windnagle of Cornell running in that order. Brown of Technology came up at the end of the second lap, which was timed in 2 minutes 3 4-5 seconds. Windnagle and Carroll were running strongly and moved into second and third places respectively at the end of the third lap, with Overton still ahead. On the last lap Windnagle lengthened out, passed Overton, gathered speed all the way around the last turn, and finished strongly. Carroll also had a lot left and shot by Overton in the final stretch. Wilson of Stanford was fourth and Brown of Technology fifth. The time was 4 minutes 15 seconds, only three-fifths of a second behind the record made by Jones of Cornell three years ago.

Cornell Supreme in Two-Mile.

The runners kept pretty well bunched during the first part of the two-mile run. At the mile, which was covered in 4 minutes 48 4-5 seconds, the Cornell starts were well up in front. At the mile and a half Hoffmire and Potter of Cornell drew ahead and on the last lap of the latter came through with a great sprint. Hoffmire was second and Frey of Cornell placed third. Corwith of Cornell came up from the rear in the last lap and by a game sprint passed Halfacre of Technology and Putnam of Yale, finishing fourth. Putnam in turn went by Halfacre on the final stretch. The time of 9 minutes 32 2-5 seconds was good.

Murray Double Winner in Hurdles.

The first semi-final heat of the 120-yard hurdles was won by Gubb of Cornell, with Murray of Stanford second. Preble of California and Norton of Stanford finished in that order in the second heat. J. V. Farwell of Yale won the heat for third and fourth men and under the new rules was credited with fifth place without entering the final. Murray skimmed over the hurdles in fine form in the final, setting up a new intercollegiate record of 15 seconds. Gubb, Preble, and Norton followed in order.

Murray and Norton of Stanford won the semi-final heats in the 220-yard hurdles, with Farwell of Yale and Brown of Penn. State second respectively. Savage of Bowdoin placed fifth by winning