LOYALTY IN THE STRAW VOTE.

The Boston Post thinks the Roosevelt straw vote was due to partiality for a graduate. "College students," says the Post, "have a way of being loyal to an alumnus of their institution. Therefore Princeton, as exemplified by President Wilson, and Brown, as represented by Justice Hughes, were not likely to Da favored above Harvard itself. But it is worth nothing that in an institution where Republican sentiment has long been strong President Wilson should have received 591 votes, only 69 less than the total for the most popular man Harvard has turned out in generations."

This is an impression likely to be disseminated by the winning of the straw vote by a Harvard alumnus; but it emphatically deserves correction. A glance at the results of similar votes held in 1912 is sufficient. Neither of these were carried by Mr. Roosevelt; the first, held in the spring, was carried by Mr. Taft, a Yale man, and the second, held in the fall, by Mr. Wilson, a Princeton graduate. Nor did Mr. Roosevelt's name bring unalloyed applause at meetings of graduates in 1912. Harvard students are independent in their political thinking to the point of perversity. The writer of this editorial--though not the CRIMSON board--favors the President. But it must be admitted that the Roosevelt vote was an expression of opinion and not of college loyalty.