SICKNESS BOTHERS 1919 CREW

UNIVERSITY A. HOWEVER, UNABLE TO BEAT FRESHMEN IN CLOSE RACE.

Red Top, Conn., June 14, 1916.--The absence of H. S. Middendorf '16 is still greatly noticed in the first crew, but today almost all signs of the check had disappeared. The second crew likewise is making rapid improvements in keeping a decent form at a low stroke. In addition to Middendorf's illness, another bit of hard luck hit the University camp today when C. W. Greenough '19 was forced to go home for the rest of the season with tonsilitis. J. F. Linder '19, who also left a few days ago because of sickness, is not expected back, and these two absences cause somewhat of a gloom over the Freshmen.

Rain only visited the practice of the University and Freshman crews once today, this being in the morning, when University A practiced starts from the quarters up to the Navy Yard and then rowed back at a stroke of 26 to Gales Ferry, and home again at 28. Coach Herrick gave his undivided attention in the morning to the second crew, using the "new Pup" in coaching up and down the mile course. Coach Haines accompanied the Freshmen.

Practice for the afternoon consisted of a two-mile row for University A in stretches, the stroke varying from 27 to 30. At the end of the last stretch the second crew was waiting to give the first a brush down-stream, and both crews started off rowing 40 strokes to the minute. The stroke was soon dropped to 36 and then to 38, and at the half-mile University A had a half-length's lead. Upon passing the mile mark both crews again dropped their stroke. There the Freshmen were waiting, and the 1919 shell, starting a length from behind, secured a beautiful start, and in one minute was up to the first crew. The Freshmen soon dropped to 32 strokes to the minute, but they held their own, for the finish was a dead heat between the 1919 boat and University A, with the second trailing three-fourths of a length behind.

Following is now the correct line-up of the Freshman boat: Stroke, R. S. Emmett; 7, G. D. Leighton; 6, F. B. Whitman; 5, F. Parkman; 4, G. L. Batchelder, Jr.; 3, G. R. Richards; 2, W. R. Odell; bow, A. Thorndike, Jr.; cox, D. H. Read.

Yale Practice Uneventful.

In the Yale camp nothing out of the ordinary happened today. Both university crews took short rows, while the freshmen went to the Navy Yard and back. The most exciting bit of news in the Eli quarters is the fact that the freshmen have moved out of their old abode and are now living in a boathouse. Otherwise Gales Ferry is dead, although it might be mentioned that Fitzpatrick maintains his seat on the first crew; and that Page has now returned to his place on the same crew.