WHERE ARE THE DRAMATISTS?

Since its organization the Dramatic Club has worked steadily to make its productions more and more the work of undergraduates. This is what distinguishes it from other college dramatic clubs, and makes its efforts an important part of the University's labors for the improvement of the American drama.

The last spring production was, from this standpoint, distinctly a success. Undergraduate coaching was an innovation worth making. But still more encouraging was the fact that one of the plays was written by a student in the college. In the last few years undergraduate plays have been extremely rare. The sub-Bakerite students have been able to design scenery, to fix electric lights, to sell tickets, to set stages, and to act. Now they even find themselves able to direct productions. But they evidently think that this is the limit of their powers. Playwriting they have left to the Graduate School and Radcliffe; and what should be essentially an activity of the College has become a joint activity of Harvard's young and old and Radcliffe's young and old.

Plays for presentation in the fall will be due on October 14. There should be time between reveille and taps some day this summer for some undergraduate to write a play worth producing.