Danger from Paralysis Slight.

Communication

To the Editors of the Crimson:--

In view of the present epidemic of infantile paralysis and the intense public interest, the following statement is made in regard to the disease and the University. As the name implies it is a disease largely but not exclusively limited to young children. Only two per cent. of the cases are over ten years of age. Susceptibility to the disease steadily decreases with age and it is rare over sixteen and excessively so over twenty-five.

The local situation is as follows: There have been eighteen cases reported to the Board of Health in Cambridge, with a population of over 100,000 since January 1, 1916. Some of the reported cases have been extremely doubtful. The oldest case and also the most doubtful case was eleven years old. The other cases were under six. None of the cases were associated with the University. Boston, in spite of reports to the contrary, has not had a disproportionate number of cases. Its population is about one-fifth that of the state. The medical facilities in Boston and Cambridge make it probable that practically every case has been reported.

The University opens with the unanimous approval of the health authorities of Massachusetts and Cambridge, and of the various experts consulted. Each student in the College must fill out a special blank at time of registration, giving information as to exposure and places of residence. Students exposed or suspected of being exposed will be further investigated before being allowed to begin College work.

The exact manner by which the disease is spread is not known. Of course the disease comes from the person who has it. College life is unusually free from close associations and contacts with children, among whom the disease is most prevalent. Presumably life in a college gives in itself a certain amount of insurance against the disease.

Students are strongly advised to keep up their general resistance against all diseases (including infantile paralysis) by regular and sound health habits of eating, sleeping and exercise. It is obvious that unlimited fresh air deters most infections and that poorly ventilated and crowded indoor halls (including many places of amusement) favor the spread of infection. Cases of illness of any nature should be reported promptly at their onset to Dr. Bailey, Thayer 21, 8.30 to 9.30 A. M. and 5 to 6 P. M. (other hours by telephone), or to Dr. Lee, 4 Weld Hall, between 1.30 and 3 P. M. Roger I. Lee, '04.

Professor of Hygiene, Harvard College.