FRESHMEN GET GOOD ADVICE

SPEAKERS AT PHILLIPS BROOKS HOUSE RECEPTION PRESENT REAL IDEAS.

Several hundred Freshmen gathered at the reception given in their honor at Phillips Brooks House last night. F. H. Cabot '17, presiding, welcomed the new-comers and introduced the first speaker, Arthur Beane '11, graduate secretary of Phillips Brooks House. Mr. Beane spoke of the character of University men, the type of character which the University has been moulding for over 250 years. "It depends upon your life here," he said, "whether the character of a Harvard man is increased or decreased. To uphold this standard is an obligation which falls upon every man who enters the University." Mr. Beane also warned his listeners against false popularity.

Dr. Fitch '00 Second Speaker.

Dr. A. P. Fitch '00 urged the men, for the sake of their parents and the men whom they represent--the men who have not a chance like theirs--to make the most of the opportunities offered in college. Dr. Fitch said, "You represent the parents who have toiled that you may be here; the men and boys who, unable to come to the college, are working now; and you represent those boys who have laid down their lives in heroism on the other hemisphere."

E. A. Whitney '17, president of the CRIMSON, spoke of the opportunities offered by the various publications in college to know the men worth knowing in college, and to know the inside working of the University. "No matter what activity you may choose," he said, "the important thing is to do something."

Hunt Wentworth '17, president of the Lampoon, speaking from the depths of experience, gave the Freshman some sage advice as to what not to do. "Don't believe all you hear," he said, "and don't pick the wrong course"--the right course being, according to him, the Lampoon competition.

Captain H. H. Dadmun '17, of the University football team, congratulated the Freshman on the number out for the 1920 football team, and for the managership--"a manager as valet for each player," as he expressed it. He urged every one to give himself a fair trial as an athlete, and emphasized the value of regular exercise and training. Captain Dadmun spoke of Harvard's reputation for clean sportsmanship and concluded his speech by reading Robert W. Serviss's poem, "Grin."

Prof. Bliss Perry Defined Success.

"Too many men come to Harvard with the prep-school' notion of success," said Professor Bliss Perry, of the English Department. "The successes you may attain here, which may give you prominence aren't important. The decisions you make within yourselves are the turning points of your lives." Professor Perry spoke of the chance of service offered by the Phillips Brooks House as one of the most valuable and important of college activities. Speaking of the social side of college life, Professor Perry said, "Too many of you get your pleasure without earning it. Don't take your enjoy-men here until you have deserved it.