YALE FACES CARNEGIE WITH MANY STARS OUT OF LINE-UP

Has Good Chances of Winning, However, University's Future Opponents Strong.

The Boston Transcript comments as follows on the work of the elevens which are to face the University in the year:

"Ten players, practically an entire eleven, who three weeks ago were set down as likely to begin the opening game of the season with Yale against Carnegie Institute, will probably be out of the line-up. The Yale situation has changed completely the past fortnight, and, although a lot of excellent material remains available, considerable has disappeared from college and still more will not be available till the season is well advanced.

"Before the squad reported three weeks ago it was known that Walter McGrath, guard, and Kirkpatrick, tackle, were almost certain to be ineligible this fall because of faculty restrictions, but the withdrawal from the squad of ten players since practice began has been unexpected. Callahan and Kelly, centres; Zenner, guard; Rosener, end; Van Nostrand, quarterback; LeGore, Bingham, Hutchinson and Braden, half-backs, and Robinson, quarterback, may all be out of the opening game of the season tomorrow, and it is probable that Kelly and Braden, perhaps the most experienced members of the squad, with the exception of LeGore, have left college.

Rosener Leaves Squad.

"Rosener, probably the most brilliant end-rush candidate on the squad, disappeared after the first week of practice with a minor injury, and has not yet returned. He was freshman end two years ago, and his spectacular play last year as a member of the Yale Ineligibles was a feature of the daily defeat of the varsity.

"Howell Van Nostrand, last year regular quarterback, has been also on the side-lines because of a bruise, and Billy Robinson, mentioned by Reggie Brown, the Harvard scout, as probably Yale's most valuable quarterback, has been also out of the practice for the same reason. Both Van Nostrand and Robinson were used for a time at the opening of practice this fall in the varsity quarterback vacancy.

"The veteran Harry LeGore has had a slightly infected toe and is lame, but will probably be ready for play by Saturday if needed. Bob Bingham also has a slight injury, and Rex Hutchinson has just recovered from one. He has again reported but has been used only on the second eleven regularly this week. Hutchinson weighs nearly 200 pounds and a great deal has been expected of him as a plunging full-back, but he has proved slow and has missed his signals repeatedly, and is a long way from choice as permanent full-back. Instead of presenting an eleven with a giant rush line averaging in weight nearly two hundred pounds. Yale will have a much lighter team, the absence of Zenner, weighing 235 pounds; Hutchinson, 195, and LeGore 175, bringing down the average several pounds.

Yale's Probable Line-up.

"Yale's line-up, although it will not be definitely announced till Saturday morning, will be about as follows: Left end, Gates, 175 pounds; left tackle, Sheldon, 180; left guard, Captain Black, 200; centre, Vorys, 180; right guard, Durfee, 190; right tackle, Baldridge, 190; right end, Church, 165; quarterback, T. Smith, 160; left half-back, Neville, 170; right half-back, Waite, 165; full-back, Jacques, 165.

"The newly formed rush line averages less than 185 pounds and the backfield only 165 pounds, a remarkable shift from the heavyweight combination which began the season as Yale's first-string eleven. The second-string backfield has been transferred in a body and will probably begin the game. Its lack of weight is believed to be fully balanced by its speed and dodging qualities. Travis Smith, the new quarterback, has on two occasions this fall broken loose in an open field for runs of more than 70 yards and as a field general he has the call over the nine candidates for the position who have been tried by Head Coach Tad Jones since the season opened.

"Gates was out of the line-up for two weeks because of injury, but has been playing for several days at left end. He is in reality a veteran, and started the Harvard game in the Stadium last year. Club Sheldon was the chief rival of Clinton Black for the captaincy, and was the best tackle at Yale last season. He will probably be unable to play the entire game tomorrow, Charles Taft being likely to be sent in the second half."

Black Strong at Guard.

"Captain Black has led his team through nearly all the practice scrimmages the past week, and will probably play most of the match tomorrow, Vorys who is probably the most valuable remaining centre rush candidate, was freshman snap-back two seasons ago, and was thought likely to be picked as a regular last fall, when an injury took him from the line-up. Carter, who has been playing right guard for two weeks, is out of the game with an injury and Galt, Zenner and Durfee are to be tried at the position. Howard Baldridge has been used at right tackle daily this fall. He is a former Andover Academy star, and played part of the Princeton and Harvard games for Yale last fall. Buck Church, who has played in about half of Yale's games for two seasons, and Charles Commerford, the former Exeter end-rush, who captained the freshman last fall, will divide up tomorrow's game at right end.

"Although LeGore and Bingham, who will probably win places on the Yale eleven in the final games of the season, have again resumed practice, after several days' absence, it is by no means certain that Jones will start them against Carnegie Tech. Waite and Neville, brilliant pony backs, are fast and in perfect physical condition. Jacques has been used ahead of Rex Hutchinson as full-back because of Hutchinson's inability to keep his signals straight and his slowness in getting under way. Once started, however, he is very powerful and should be rounded into condition as one of Yale's most brilliant line forcers before the season closes.

Defeat by Carnegie Unlikely.

"Although Yale expected defeat at the hands of most of her minor college rivals last fall, no fear was felt that Carnegie. Tech will humiliate the team here tomorrow. On the basis of scoring shown by the Eli team the past week, it should score three times tomorrow. The Yak rush line has not yet shown steadiness enough to predict a Carnegie Tech white washing.

Virginia Misses Thurman.

"Virginia, which battles Yale and Harvard, is without Mayor, one of the greatest backs in the country last year, and may not have Thurman, its wonderful punter, to rely on. He best Yale last year by his exceptional booting and kept Harvard from crossing the Virginia goal line. Thurman, who has been fighting for the Allies in France, is trying to get his release, and may be able to face Harvard, although it is a certainty that he could not get in trim to play against Yale. Otherwise, Virginia shapes up pretty well. P. R. Evans, an alumnus, is coaching the team.

"Washington and Lee, which has leaped to the front in football in the past two seasons, has lost Barrett, one of its leading backfield men; Shulz, a powerful tackle, and several other strong linemen but has sufficient new comers to fill the gaps.

"Albert Pierotto of Everett, who was the almost unanimous selection for the all-South Atlantic centre last fall, is back, and Kehoe, from Swampscott, rated as an all-interscholastic, player in 1915, is a formidable candidate for a place behind the line. Walter B. Elcock of Dartmouth is coaching Washington and Lee.

Tufts Backfield Weak.

"The lack of capable backfield substitutes at Tufts is still bothering the coaches, though the burden was lightened somewhat yesterday by the appearance of Keefe, last year a star at Dean Academy. The new man was in Doane's place at full-back part of the time and played brilliantly. He is heavy and fast, fights hard and possesses a great deal of football sense. The reappearance of Brown, last year's varsity tackle, was also hailed with joy by the coaches. He immediately took his old place in the line.

"Tufts naturally is pointing for the Harvard game and secret practice has been in progress all week. Heavy canvas screens hide the gridiron from view and a vigilance committee sees to it that no outsiders make their way into the field.