FLYING BOATS FOR YALE UNIT

Will be Tried Out This Week at Newport News.--Will Travel 90.

Glenn H. Curtis is building two special type flying boats for the Yale Unit of the Aero Coast Patrol, which are being made after suggestions given to him by the Yale Unit. Special points to be emphasized in these boats are increases in speed, seaworthiness, cruising radius, climbing ability and lifting power.

Although these are being built for the Yale Unit, they will not be accepted unless they fulfill all requirements. A similar machine was built a year ago by the Curtis factory with the regular F-type hull, but it was equipped with twin motors, while these new ones have only one. In preliminary trials made last week by Victor Carlstrom, the machine made 90 miles an hour, and easily flew on one motor, After final testings and adjustments it was supposed to be sent to Palm Beach where members of the Yale Unit were to try it out. Unfortunately the hull was broken in the shop before delivery. Now a new hull, longer and of greater static flotation is being constructed. Tests of this will be made this week at Newport News by D. H. McCulloch, who taught the Yale Unit how to fly.

The new hull is to be much stronger than any others used in this country, and its seaworthiness lies in the fact that it will get off the water very quickly. From all indications this flying boat should be the fastest ocean flying machine of military type in the country. At present two such boats have been ordered for the Yale Unit, and are the gifts of H. P. Davison. Two more may be added if these prove successful.

They are to be equipped with full radio apparatus, drift compasss and other instruments of aerial navigation.