PRISON BOARD OFFERS $100

Three Prizes for Penal Reform Theses Presented to Students by Adolph Lewisohn.

Three prizes are offered by Adolph Lewisohn, president of the National Committee on Prisons, for the best theses on phases of the prison problem, prepared by students in preparatory schools, colleges and universities throughout the United States. One prize of $50 will be awarded for the best Master's thesis. Two prizes of $25 each will be presented to the author of the best undergraduate essay and to the preparatory school student who writes the best essay on the subject.

All duly accredited students are eligible, an exception being made in the cases of students taking the course in Practical Penal Problems given by Dr. E. Stagg Whitin at Columbia University, in order that undue advantage may not be given them.

The judges in this year's competition will be: Professor James C. Egbert, director of the Extension Teaching and Summer Session, Columbia University; Dr. Hastings H. Hart, director, Child Helping Department, Russell Sage Foundation; and the Honorable William H. Wadhams '99L, judge of the Court of General Sessions, City of New York.

The National Committee on Prisons announces the award of the prize offered by Mr. Lewisohn last year to three students of Columbia University, New York University and Barnard College respectively. The prize of $50 for a Master's thesis was won by Miss Blanche Rosenthal, of Columbia, the subject of her thesis being "The History of Punishment for Murder." Mr. Harry Berlin, of New York University, was awarded the $25 prize for an undergraduate essay on "Prison Problems," and the other prize of $25 was won by Miss Lucy J. Hayner, of Barnard College, for an essay on "The Prison Farm as a Solution of the Prison Problem."

Those desiring further information concerning the competition should apply to the National Committee on Prisons, Broadway and 116th street, New York City.