A NATIONAL QUESTION

Slowly but surely the people of the United States are recognizing the pitiful inadequacy of our army and the utter inability of this country to defend itself against the attack of another power of similar magnitude. Evidences of such an awakening have appeared during the last two years in the success of the Plattsburg camps, the organization of the Naval training Cruise, and the sporadic efforts of the many preparedness societies. The events of last summer on the Mexican border disclosed the weakness of the system of State Militia, and focused the attention of all patriotic citizens on the great national question of military preparedness for this country.

Many of the best military authorities firmly believe that universal military training in some form is the only measure will bring the individual citizen to an intelligent realization of his duty to the nation, and result in an adequate defence for the country. For this reason the Chamberlain Bill has been drawn up and will be placed before Congress in the near future. At present the Senate Committee on Military Affairs is giving hearings to representative men in order to obtain the sentiment of all classes as regards this question. Already a number of college men, expressing their personal opinions, have given testimonies before the Committee, unfavorable to universal military training. The possibility of the Committee interpreting their opinions as representative of the colleges as a whole must be guarded against. Therefore a vote of the University is being held tomorrow, and delegates are being sent to Washington to inform the Committee of the true attitude of Harvard in regard to the question.

The CRIMSON heartily endorses the principle of universal military training. whether the Chamberlain Bill contains the best plan for such a program is a question. However, the principle of the policy is sound, and therein lies the salvation of our people, and the only safe defence for our country. A long period of investigation must follow before a specific, detailed scheme of training can be formulated. Since the principle is right such a system of training must finally be evolved.

Harvard's immediate task is to throw her influence in support of this principle by registering an overwhelming vote in favor of universal military training. Tomorrow is Harvard's first chance to help solve this national question and the result of the vote ought to strengthen Harvard's position as a patriotic institution.