COLUMBIA WON CHESS TITLE

University Took Third Place While Yale Was Second in Tournament.

The intercollegiate chess championship again went to Columbia when the New York players survived with a comfortable margin the third and final round of the intercollegiate chess tournament at the Princeton Club, New York, on December 23. Columbia finished with eight points to her credit, Yale following in second place with six and one-half. The grand totals of the University and Princeton were five and one-half and four points respectively. The surprise of the tournament came in the last round when Yale, after having tied both the previous matches against Princeton and the University, defeated the Columbia team.

Following is the summary of the final round:

Columbia vs. Yale.

Leed (C.) defeated Levinson (Y.); Bantlett (Y.) defeated Korkus (C.); Isaacson (C.) and Kunkel (Y.) drew; Banks (Y.) defeated Clapp (C.). Totals, Columbia, 1 1-2; Yale 2 1-2.

Harvard vs. Princeton.

Axe (H.) defeated J. Chamberlain (P.); Johnson (H.) defeated W. Chamberlain (P.); Le Fevre (R.) and Miles (P.) drew; King (H.) defeated Manchree (P.). Totals, Harvard 3 1-2; Princeton, 1-2. Final standing.   Won  Lost Columbia,  8  4 Yale,  6 1-2  5 1-2 Harvard,  5 1-2  6 1-2 Princeton,  4  8