BROAD-MINDEDNESS?

There has been much comment lately by graduates who are opposed to Mr. Sunday speaking at the University. They have based their contentions on the theory that Harvard is strictly democratic and that it is not in keeping for prominent men who are pledged to one cause and not to affairs in general to speak before undergraduates.

It seems fair to suggest to these people that the true strength of the University's position lies in its capacity for broad-mindedness. Lecturers on the war, frankly partisan in their stand, have presented their views; those urging preparedness as well as supporters of pacifism; all have been given their chance with the idea that conflicting opinions, which vitally interest the world at large by making men think, should have the same appeal in the small world of Harvard. A man should never be condemned for possessing ideas that may differ from the set standard. Mr. Sunday would be heard here with widespread interest because his thoughts are different, and not because he represents this or that religious cult.