400 MEN IN DARTMOUTH BATTALION THIS YEAR

R. O. T. C. Also Formed at Brown under Major Abbot to Train Men for Service.

Dartmouth's military work is well under way under the direction of Captain Keene of the Canadian army, and Lieut. Pickett of the First Corps Cadets. There are two courses at Dartmouth, one of which is for Freshmen and is compulsory, the other being voluntary for members of the upper classes. Approximately 400 men have reported, and they have been divided up into two battalions of three companies each. Six hours of drill a week will be held, divided into three periods of two hours each. Lectures are to be given on subjects allied to Military Science, and instruction in bomb construction and throwing, and in the use of machine guns will occupy a portion of the time. The system of trenches constructed last summer by the Dartmouth men, will be used again with slight additions and improvements.

The Dartmouth corps will not wear the regulation army uniform, but will be uniformed distinctively, with badges on the hat and collar. Until the close of the football season the football squad will be given three hours intensive work on Monday afternoons instead of six hours throughout the week, later entering the regular companies. The war department has sent the college 200 rifles, bayonets and scabbards for the use of the Corps.

Brown Has Authorized Unit.

Brown also has an officially authorized unit of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps this year. The military work will be under the direction of Major Charles W. Abbot, retired, Adjutant-General of Rhode Island. He will be assisted by three undergraduates who were trained in the Harvard Reserve Officers' Training Corps last summer.

The first third of the year will be devoted to close-order drill and the selection of officers and non-commissioned officers; the second to class-room instruction; and the last to manoeuvres and target practice. At the close of the course, Major Abbot will recommend suitable men for examinations for commissions.