"WAR IS LIKE A FOOTBALL GAME ON A HUGE SCALE"

C. P. Reynolds '18 So Defines European Conflict in Recent Letter to Crimson.

The CRIMSON has received the following letter from C. P. Reynolds '18 who is a first lieutenant in the Massachusetts National Guard now somewhere in France:

"I am mighty glad I am here, as I consider it a very great privilege to be able to take an active part, even if it is a small part, in the fight for the greatest cause the world has known, next to that of Christianity. This war is like a football game on a huge scale. It takes the very best men to play it and success depends on wonderful team-work and tremendous sacrifices. And there is a tremendous amount at stake.

"We are the backs and ends. If we make good we win glory and distinction. The men whose duty it is to remain behind in college and in civil occupation of other kinds are the centre of the line. Theirs is the hard job. They plug along at dull work and if they make good, they receive no glory. But they receive what is infinitely more worthwhile, namely the inward satisfaction of having done the harder job; of having done it well without the inspiration or rewards we get.

"No man can do better than to devote his life to the things he believes to be best and most honorable. I hope the men now in College who are unable to get into the military part of the team, realize that they serve their country as well as we do if they apply themselves to their college work, fitting themselves for military duty if they are needed when they are old enough, and fitting themselves for the tremendous work of reconstruction which is to follow."