NATIONAL SERVICE CLUB OPENS

ENLISTED MEN WILL BE GIVEN SOCIAL FACILITIES IN NEW YORK.

The Harvard Club of New York will open informally a "National Service Club No. 1" opposite the Pennsylvania Station in New York City this Thursday. The club will be open to all men who are in the war service of the United States, and is intended solely for enlisted soldiers, sailors, aviators and members of other branches of service. It will offer all the attraction of the usual social club, including library, reading and writing rooms, lounging rooms, billiards, pool and other games; and an important feature of its facilities will be an information bureau where men who are strangers to New York can get all the information they desire on theatres, athletic contests, available trips, railroad journeys and so on.

The clubhouse, which has been provided by the Harvard Club, includes the whole building on the corner of Seventh Avenue and Thirty-third Street. This is just across the street from the Pennsylvania Station, and since it is estimated that some 5000 soldiers and sailors will pass through this terminal every weekday, and as many as 20,000 on Saturdays and Sundays, the club will undoubtedly serve a very large number of men. The club is not intended to serve officers, because they are taken care of at the Army and Navy Club and at various other institutions.

The club building was formerly a hotel and restaurant, called the Nassau. It has been entirely remodeled and redecorated for the uses to which it will be put, and has become the typical social club.