ALL WOOL AND A YARD WIDE.

Beware of the swarthy gentleman with the pursued look and the bundle under his arm. Once safely inside your room he will open that parcel and bring forth anything from cigars to winter suitings. Taking you into the closet he will whisper in your car that he has just come from Cuba or Canada and has managed to get by the custom officials. He wants to go to Chicago and must raise the money immediately. Much as it displeases him he realizes that he must sell his treasures. Since they didn't cost him much in their native land he is willing to sacrifice them without gain. As you try a smoke from the top and find it very fair, or upon feeling the softness of the genuine scotch mixture, you are tempted. In five minutes the check is signed; you are alone with your prize.

How unsympathetic your roommate appears when he sees the bargain! Yet sure enough, to smoke the third layer you must wear a gas mask, while the tailor explains that you have just enough cloth for a nice vest.

In the eyes of the peddler students are easy marks. On the whole they are right.