L. BRENTANO PRESIDENT OF DEBATING SOCIETY

Will Hold Series of Interclass Debates This Fall and Triangular Meet Later.

At a meeting of the University Debating Council last evening, the following officers were elected to take the place of those men in war service. President, Lowell Brentano '18, of Orange, New Jersey; Vice-President, David Davis '18 of Pueblo, Colorado; Secretary, William Prosser '18, of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and provisional manager and treasurer, R. S. Tucker '18, of Arlington.

Trials for the interclass debates, which are planned for this fall, will take place next Tuesday evening in Harvard 5. Each candidate will be expected to speak for five minutes on either side of the following question: "Resolved: That in the light of recent events, the Monroe Doctrine has been rendered obsolete, and should be abolished."

Three men and one alternate are to be chosen for each team to represent each class, and these men will hold an interclass series in the following order: Seniors against Sophomores, and Juniors against Freshmen, the winner of each match holding a debate later to decide the championship. The members of the winning team will be awarded cups. The first of these debates will take place in Sever 11, on Tuesday, October 30, at 7 o'clock. Competent judges will be appointed by the Council to preside over the meetings.

R. S. Tucker '18 will issue a call for candidates for the position of assistant manager of the Debating team within the next few weeks.

The triangular debate with Yale and Princeton will be held this year as usual. Contrary to the usual custom, however, an attempt is being made to hold it in December, instead of in March. Details of this will be announced later. Men who wish to enter this debate will find themselves greatly handicapped unless they try for the interclass teams next Tuesday.