MAJOR H. L. HIGGINSON SUPPORTS CAMPAIGN TO SELL LIBERTY BONDS

FAVORS UNIVERSITY CANVASS.

Major Henry Lee Higginson, Hon. A.M. '82, President of the Union, and for many years identified with the University in different ways, is serving in this war by helping in the campaign for subscriptions to the Second Liberty Loan. Being a veteran of the Civil War he realizes what war means, and hence how necessary it is to raise a huge sum to carry on the work. He writes:

"I had the honor to serve in the Civil War, and know what War means, and I am eighty-two years old. Because of these facts I take the liberty of writing you as follows:

"One thing is certain. We cannot ask our boys to go to the front and fight for our country and its ground principles and pay their own expenses. Therefore, the Government must supply the money, and its citizens must furnish the Government with that money. There is no other source.

"In this New England district we ask 20,000 loyal citizens each to lend their Government $10,000 to $25,000 or more. Only with the whole-hearted support of such as these citizens can this loan be successful, and only thus can our Government maintain its work.

"In the last loan the subscriptions were received from the following sources throughout the country: $10,000 and under, $1,300,000,000; $10,000 to $100,000, $560,000,000; $100,000, up, $1,240,000,000; plainly showing where the distribution fell down.

"That the Liberty Loan Committee may carry on the most effective campaign it is absolutely essential that the subscriptions be in hand just as early as possible, and therefore I ask you to help the many loyal volunteer workers on that Committee by subscribing at once--today--so that they may know with some degree of accuracy how this district is coming forward and that they may then know how best to direct their efforts. I ask you to help us to this extent in a work which is taxing the facilities of the Liberty Loan organization to the utmost.

"Remember that this is a loan to the strongest government in the world, a loan that is necessary to maintain the integrity of our country, our principles, and democracy."