DRILL IN MANY COLLEGES

Yale Now Has Armory, Horses and Guns; Voluntary Work at Princeton; Other Universities Active.

During the past week, military plans in nearly all eastern universities and colleges have been put in final shape, and the different military organizations have gotten well under way in their year's war work. At Yale, naval and military courses have for some time been in full swing, the former under Admiral C. M. Chester, U. S. N., retired, and the latter in the hands of Captain W. S. Overton, U. S. A., retired, assisted by Captain A. Dupont of the French Military Mission, and by Captain Bland and Lieutenant Massey of the Canadian Army. Both courses will extend for three years and count as nine hours' work for a degree, and both will lead to commissions as second lieutenant or ensign.

The R. O. T. C. at Yale will be chiefly an artillery unit, as was the former Yale Battery. The students will have the use of the new Artillery Armory, which was dedicated last June, and which contains a huge drill hall in which the artillery-men can practice with the battery of the famous 75 millimeter guns loaned them by the French Government. A miniature village of clay will be constructed in the Armory for use in sub calibre target practice. Horses have already been secured.

At Princeton the Faculty Committee on Military Affairs has worked out and put into effect a tentative plan of drill for the year. The work takes up two periods of two hours each during the week, and is entirely voluntary. All the training will be under the direction of Professor R. K. Root until the arrival of Major H. H. Sargent, U. S. A., retired, who is expected soon to take charge of the course.

The Dartmouth Regiment, corresponding to the R. O. T. C. at the University is thriving with eight companies formed and nearly all the students enrolled. Cornell, also will carry on a large amount of military drill, but this will be no innovation as training has long been a prescribed part of the college course.

At Brown an R. O. T. C. similar to the one at the University has been established with an advanced course in Military Science, requiring six to nine hours of attendance a week, offered by Adjutant General Abbott, who is stationed there. In addition, a course in Military French, meeting one hour a week, will be given by the French Department.