FROM THE GERMAN STANDPOINT.

From the point of view of the German government, there are just two ways in which the German people can be made to bear the ever-increasing burdens of war without questioning the legitimacy or power of the authority over them. The first is that of holding out world domination as the reward of victory. The fact that the military advantage in the war has so far lain with Germany has resulted in the belief by the majority of the German people that the war is already won. The other method consists in pointing out in exaggerated terms what England and her allies will do to Germany if they win. The English have threatened not only to destroy the German government and dismember Austria-Hungary, but to bring economic dependency and ruin on every individual German.

Both these ideas must be contended with, and the justification for their existence removed. The only way to defeat the German army is with another and better army. Force can only be met with force. We must drive the German army from its present advantageous positions if we are to drive the vindication of force at the same time from the German mind.

In exactly the same way we must contend with the belief of the average German that he will be made an economic and political slave unless he keeps the enemy at bay. In the words of President Wilson, we are fighting the German government and not the German people. But how about England and France? They must also show by some new and unquestioned means that they do not mean to be vindictive or revengeful. Otherwise the mere declaration by President Wilson, while our arms unite in effecting the purposes of our allies, will and cannot be accepted in Germany.

It is hard to tell which of these aspects is the more important. The military defeat of Germany would destroy the militarism of the imperialists. On the other hand, a re-assertion on the part of all the allies of the principles of President Wilson and the new Russian democracy, as well as their actual interpretation, would split the democratic from the imperialistic elements in Germany. Such a movement would accomplish our armies in the war no less than military success. The United States does not have to go through three years of war to find out that it is fighting for far higher things than, for example, a section of territory.