YAPHANK.

The War Department has ordained that the Harvard men who are going to the third Officers Training Camp shall be sent to Yaphank, L. I., there to be trained with the National Army units from New York State.

Most of our undergraduates expected that Ayer would be their destination, and the Sunny South of New York State comes as a relief. In spite of all that has been said, Yaphank is not a bad spot to spend the winter. Undoubtedly it is less frigid than Ayer; in fact the center of Long Island is supposedly ten degrees warmer than New York City itself. The coating of snow and ice will keep the terrible dust down; the monotany of swamp-oak will be broken by this time by the newly-laid out drill grounds and cantonments. To the New Englander it will be an education to live away from his native hearth,--to mix with people who did not cross on the Mayflower. Yaphank has been greatly over-estimated as a jumping off place for the Lower World. It is not a Palm Beach, but it is two hours nearer to New York than that far-famed winter resort and the lure of the Metropolis is something to look forward to after all. The man who has weathered a Cambridge winter can pack up his ba-ba in the old kit bag and sneer at the terrors of a Yaphank winter.