"CATCH WORD IS CATASTROPHE"

SO DR. R. H. LORD DEFINED THE PRESENT SITUATION IN RUSSIA.

"Catastrophe is the catch word in Russia at the present time," said Dr. R. H. Lord '06, at the meeting of the Cosmopolitan Club in Phillips Brooks House last evening, as he was describing the impressions he gained of the Russian situation during his stay there last summer. "The country was on the very verge of political ruin and economic collapse. The army wouldn't fight, the workmen wouldn't work, and the government couldn't govern. The crisis was caused by four general conditions: the antagonism between the socialist parties and the bourgeoisie; the total paralysis of the government; the widespread demoralization of the army; and the economic chaos. Between the future fates of Russia lie only the Russian socialistic parties, led by men who for the most part, are not honest fighters for an ideal but German agents who wish to stop the war and encourage a social revolution. Such men have also played a large part in the demoralization of the army, preaching insideous doctrines of giving up all offensive and defensive warfare as being against the highest republican principles. However, the strong hand of Kerensky, his great energy, enthusiasm, eloquence and integrity are a wonderful asset.

"The condition of the army has improved immensely during the last two months but the economic conditions are much worse. The workmen will not obey their superintendents. Russian industry has fallen off immeasurably since the revolution, to 60 or 70 per cent of what it was last year. Everyone expects serious outbreaks this winter but yet I feel sure that Russia will eventually pull through, but not without many hard knocks."

D. G. Montt, Honorary Consul from Chile; the next speaker, described the life of Latin American students, contrasting the college spirit there to the American college spirit, and showing the progress of the Y. M. C. A. in South America.

Samuel Ybargoyen of Uruguay spoke very interestingly on the habits and customs of his native country.

The foreign students will make a trip to Lincoln House this afternoon. They will leave Phillips Brooks House at 2.30 o'clock.