TEAM IN SCORELESS TIE AT CAMP DEVENS

DROP KICKS FAILED

In a game as close as the score indicates the informal University and the Depot Brigade teams played a scoreless tie at Ayer Saturday before a crowd of several thousand soldiers. Neither team found opportunity to rush the ball across the goal line, and all attempts to score were limited to drop kicks, two being tried by the informal, and one by the Army team. Line plunging without material gain made the total yards rushed by both sides small. The informal, however, gained nearly three times as much ground as the Depot Brigade, but at critical moments their attack failed. The soldiers showed great strength on the defence, and through the coaching of Capt. C. A. Coolidge '17, end on the 1916 University eleven, were able to solve the typical University formations which the informal used throughout the game.

Not until the second half did either team have an opportunity to scone, and it was only in the final minutes of play than the informal's attack led by R. Hofman '19, was able to made consecutive gains. The advance ended with the failure of L. Crosscup '19, to score a field goal from the 37-yard line. The soldiers chance to score likewise ended in an ineffective drop kick, after a loss of 15 yards through a technicality stopped an attack that seemed destined to end in a touchdown.

Few Gains Made in First Half.

In the first half the play was between the two 40-yard lines most of the time, there being very little action. Immediately after the kick-off Hubbard captured the ball for the soldiers when B. S. Blanchard '20, fumbled, but the Army

could not gain, and the informals took the ball on downs. An 18-yard pass, Thorne to Delaney was the only real advance by either team, both being content to limit their attacks to line plays.

In the beginning of the second half the informals had their first chance to score. Harrison of the soldiers, kicking, from near his own goal line, was so hurried by the informals' line breaking through that the ball only reached the 30-yard line, where J. G. Coolidge '20, made a fair catch. Instead of trying for a goal from placement the ball was placed in scrimmage. At the failure of the attack A. Horween tried at drop kick from the 35-yard mark, but the kick was short.

Third Drop Kick Failed.

Early in the last quarter Grady broke through the informals' line, blocked Horween's kick, and secured the ball for the Depot Brigade on the 40-yard line. Harrison on the next play circled left end for 15 yards, bringing the ball to the informals' 25-yard mark This gain was lost, however, when an incoming substitute broke the rule about talking to his team mates before the completion of one play. Harrison then failed to score a field goal from the 45-yard line.

The summary:

Informal University  Depot BrigadeWhitney, l.e.  r.e., HubbardWoods, l.t.  r.t., GradyZach, Stubbs, l.g.  r.g., UnderwoodFishback, c.  c., CunninghamThorndike, r.g.  l.g., BartonRudman, Flynn, r.t.,  l.t., Burchle, Nash, SpuntSteele, r.e.  l.e., GoodrichCoolidge, Hoffman, q.b.  q.b., Delaney, TannerCrosscup, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Remmele, WallBlanchard, Weden, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Thorne, Harrison, Vilnave, SwarthoutHorween, f.b.  f.b., Swarthout, Harriso