WORCESTER ELEVEN NO MATCH FOR FRESHMEN

FAXON STARRED IN LINE

In a one-sided game the Freshman eleven defeated Worcester Academy in the Stadium Saturday 53 to 7, scoring eight touchdowns, over the inexperienced and outweighed Academy team. No serious opposition was presented to the Freshman attack, and they advanced the ball practically at will. The 1921 team showed unexpected ability in forward passing and in blocking kicks. In the final minutes of play Worcester crossed the Freshman goal line by intercepting an attempted forward pass.

In every department of the game the Freshmen outplayed their opponents. The line repeatedly opened wide holes for the backs, and on the defense stopped Worcester plays before they were under way. I Gaston, M. E. Olmstead, and H. H. Faxon played strong games at guard and tackle, while R. S. Humphrey, E. H. Stillman, and I. A. MacDonnell gained readily on line plunges and occasionally around the ends.

The Freshmen carried the ball to the Worcester two-yard line soon after the start of the game. Worcester held for downs, then punted, and the Freshmen began their attack from the 25-yard line. The first score came after a few plays on a forward pass, T. C. Wales to G. C. Lee. Faxon failed to kick the goal. After Worcester's kick-off Humphrey gained 35 yards around the end and MacDonnell in two plays took the ball to the five-yard line as the first period ended.

On the second play of the next period MacDonnell scored on a line plunge. Faxon kicked the goal.

three Touchdowns in Second Period.

Misplays counted in scoring the next three touchdowns. M. E. Olmstead captured a Worcester fumble on their 27-yard line, and from that point Humphrey, aided by a 15-yard gain by A. D. Hamilton, crossed the goal line for the third score. Faxon kicked the goal. The Freshman kicked and as the Worcester back was tackled he dropped the ball, Hamilton recovering it for the Freshmen. Butterfield scored on an end run. The final score of the half came when C. P. Anderson blocked a punt on the Worcester goal line, Gaston falling on the ball for a touchdown. Largely by excellent punting the Academy eleven prevented the Freshmen team, now composed of substitutes from scoring again.

In the second half the Freshmen forced their opponents back of their attempted line plunges, and Faxon after blocking a kick, added seven points to the Freshman total.

The final Freshman score was made on a pretty forward pass of 35 yards, Humphrey to Lee. After an entire new Freshman eleven took the field, Carol of the Worcester team intercepted an attempted forward pass, and scored from the 25-yard line. McKoan kicked the goal. The game ended after a few more plays.

The summary:

1921  WorcesterKing, Anderson, l.e.  r.e., Albee, MeyersFaxon, Roberts, Rand, l.t.  r.t., CurtinOlmstead, C. Stillman, l.g.  r.g., VoseHavemeyer, Cabot, McAdams, c.  c., Scott, Montague  Frothingham, Salter, GratwickHooker, Tower, r.g.  l.g., EmmanuelsonGaston, Mills, r.t.  l.t., Johnson, CarolLee, Davis, Finly, r.e.  l.e., Stephens, JewettJenney, Wales, Bangs, Smith, q.b.  q.b., FreethyE. Stillman, Hamilton, Sweeney, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Ferri, SullivanMacDonnell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., McKoan, CrowleyHumphrey, Butterfield, f.b.  f.b., McCrillis, Myer