Soldiers Need Spiritual Force

At the fifth Monday evening meeting for Freshman held in the Smith Halls Common Room last night, Bishop William Lawrence '71, delivered a short but impressive talk to members of the class of 1921. His words were on the subject which he himself announced as "Prayer as a Fighting Force," and were partly called forth by the fact that last Sunday had been set aside by President Wilson as a day of general prayer for the success of our armies in France.

Bishop Lawrence stated, "I have at present a book by an American general on the training of soldiers, which says that prayer is a necessary part of a good soldier's equipment. Spiritual force is just as much needed as physical force. It was spiritual force that bought those bonds for five billions last week--the spirit of liberty, and the determination to maintain it.

"Let a million men put their thoughts before God on right, love of liberty, and determination to win, and you increase the fighting force of the nation. That was what made Cromwell's army so powerful in England."