FELLOW STUDENTS.

Nearly a thousand undergraduates are preparing to give up a considerable position of their time and energy to prepare themselves for the service of their country against the time when they shall be called into action. Theirs is no slight sacrifice. They gladly accept the discipline and tedium of drilling and extra study to take advantage of the opportunities the College has placed before them--in the person of Captain Amann and others--to learn the art of war. And we justly admire the spirit and sense of duty which leads them to do this.

But it is well to remember that an even greater number of members of the University are giving, instead of an hour or so a day, their whole time to the work. Fifteen hundred men have been enrolled at the radio school in the course which the University, in conjunction with the Navy Department, has opened to train men as wireless operators. In eight short weeks the newest member of the class will be ready for active duty at sea, on one of the ships of our navy or of our merchant fleet. Though their names are not in the University register, they are members of the University in the fullest sense of the word, for they live at the University, they study in the University, and they are enrolled in a cause which the University has done and will do its utmost to support.

Some of the men come from the regular navy, other have given up professions and positions in civil life to enlist. The University is only too willing to meet them half-way, to give them its plant and facilities for teaching, its instructors and its experience. The Cruft laboratory, the Gymnasium, Pierce, Perkins, and Memorial Halls are already at their disposal. Our athletic field and equipment is theirs to use when they have time. If there is anything more that we can give them, we will do so gladly. It is an honor to the University to consider them a part, and a very integral part, of itself.