1028 NOW IN R. O. T. C.

CAPT. AMANN LECTURED

The enrolment figures given out at the military office last night show that a total of 1028 men are at present enrolled in the University Reserve Officers' Training Corps. Only for a very short period last spring has the regiment been as large as this--a fact especially noteworthy when the number is compared with the enrolment figures of the College. That portion of the undergraduate body living in Cambridge, which naturally forms the bulk of the Corps, consists of slightly over 1200 students.

Drill for all three battalions is continuing this week according to schedule, most of the time being devoted to the School of the Soldier and the School of the Squad. The regular extra drill for members of Military Science 2 will be held next Thursday afternoon from 4.30 to 5.30.

Organization of Trenches Explained.

Captain Amann of the French Military Mission lectured to members of the advanced course last night on the subject of trench organization and the principles of flanking fire as developed during the last three and a half years. The value of machine guns and automatic rifles placed in salients, with the intervening stretches of the trench only very lightly manned, was pointed out and explained in detail. Such a system of defense although requiring fewer men in the first line trench is by far the most effective, Captain Amann asserted.

In order to secure longer periods for drill it is possible that Monday athletic practice will be called off under the same arrangement as was made last year, and that all twelve companies be put through an extra two hours of work on that day as long as the good weather lasts. No official action has as yet been taken on this point, however.