THE INFORMALS

To those who sat through the game in the Stadium last Saturday and saw the Eli eleven outplay and outfight our Freshmen, the result of the Informal vs. Newport Naval Reserves game came as a pleasant tonic to drown out their sorrows. The Informals lost, 14--0, but they put up a game which places them in the football Hall of Fame. With the possible exception of the Navy Yard team here in Boston, the Newport squad is the best in the country. With a line made up of men like Schlacter of Syracuse, and Callahan and Black of Yale, and with a backfield composed of Barrett, Gerrish, Hite and Gardiner, this naval Reserve team is as near being an All-America product as any aggregation the ever played together. When the Informals went to meet this Goliath among football teams, the University said a sad farewell and prepared to give them a wholesale funeral noteworthy even in Cambridge. What was our surprise to see them all come back, physically marred, yet alive; they had not killed this Goliath but they had given him a must entertaining afternoon. The score does not show how close the game really was; the Informals played better than they ken how. They plowed through Black for gain after gain; they spilled Barrett time after time, they even out punted him. It was a great exhibition of fight and "pep." Before the game the betting was merely as to how large a score over thirty points Black's men would roll up; as the game progressed no one was too sure that they would win at all.

The University is proud of their team. They plodded along day after day with scant encouragement, and when Snow and Church left they kept on without them. On Saturday they met their crucial test and did better than anyone expected. These men are not getting insignia, they are now dropping out of even the scant limelight focused on them. Yet as they go the CRIMSON wants to congratulate them: they never had the chance to meet Yale before a crowd of 50,000, but when the next. Yale game comes we only hope that the eleven men representing the University are built of the same stuff as that Informal team.