RUSSIA.

Kerensky's announcement that Russia was worn out by the strain of war and had resolved to leave the brunt of the fighting to her Allies came as a thunderbolt yesterday morning. And although by the afternoon it appeared that Russia was not making a separate peace, yet so unfounded and unjust were most of the charges made against France and England as to cast grave doubts upon Kerensky's sincerity and loyalty. He seems to forget that the war started in the East, and that Russia would long since have been crushed but for the aid given by her western Allies; time and again they have undertaken costly offensives to relieve the pressure on her frontier provinces. To declare that Russia is now ready to cast the burden of the war on their shoulders will create a most painful impression both in London and Paris. Next he criticizes the British fleet for not rushing headlong into the Baltic, now that the Germans are operating there, knowing well the utter impossibility of such an undertaking; incidentally the British might well ask what the Russan fleet is doing at the present moment.

Taken in its most charitable light, the interview, as reported, puts Kerensky before the world accused of bad faith to his Allies. Whether he is preparing to conclude a separate peace, in the near future, or whether he is being won over by German propaganda, his intentions should be made clear. The Allies should know the worst, and the public as well as the Chancelleries. In spite of her weakness, Russia's aid is still invaluable against Germany and to America it falls in large measure to uphold and support its government. More than ever the United States should show Russia her willingness to help, for only by union and concerted effort can victory be won.