SCHOLARSHIP IN CHEMISTRY

IN MEMORY OF S. B. PENNOCK '15 TO BE AWARDED TO A SENIOR.

The University has received a gift of $5,000 "to establish a scholarship of $250 a year to be given to that indigent senior student in college who, specializing in Chemistry and intending to follow a Chemical career, is judged by the Chemical faculty to be worthy of it through conscientious effort and reasonably high standing." The scholarship is to be known as "The Stanley Bagg Pennock Scholarship" and is given in memory of S. B. Pennock '15 by his father, John D. Pennock '83.

Pennock is a well-known name to all graduates and undergraduates of the University. He entered college in the autumn of 1911 from the Hackley School. During his first year in college he played on the Freshman football team and for the remaining three years on the University eleven. For the years 1913 and 1914, he achieved a place on the All-America team. Pennock graduated in 1915, receiving his degree "cum laude" in Chemistry. For the six months following his graduation he was engaged in chemical research, working on a new process for chlorinating. He met his death in an explosion at Newark, New Jersey, on November 27, 1916.